A rehabilitation clinic with ample historical background
Apart from medical competence, the location is also a decisive factor for rehabilitative success. When Mare, a Styrian group of companies, and families Maitz and Remta-Grieshofer from Bad Radkersburg purchased the former rehabilitation centre from the insurance institution for the Austrian Railways, the Judendorf-Straßengel Clinic was developed into a neurological, orthopaedic and paediatric rehabilitation centre.
A short development history
The actual econonomical and touristic development of Judendorf-Straßengel can be precisely identified: it was on the 21. October 1844, the opening day of the railway track section between Mürzzuschlag and Graz. The Railways helped Judendorf and Straßengel to frequent excursionists, pilgrims and other visitors. Already in the 70's of the nineteenth century, in other words long before the first convalescence institution was constructed, it was fashionable for well-situated citizens to travel to Straßengel in order to promenade, as numerous historical sources prove.
1889 saw the construction of the Hotel Schreiber, which was later to become Hotel Styria. Today, this building is a modern senior residence.
In 1892 a Grazian regional doctor, Dr. Grossbauer, built the first convalescent institution, a hydropathical establishment, which was taken over by Dr. Lippa in 1900 and managed together with Dr. Karl Feiler.
From 1902 to 1924, Dr. Feiler was sole owner. In a publication of 1907, Judendorf and Straßengel presented themselves as distinguished convalescence locations with an excellent infrastructure. This publication marked them as "a prosperous convalescent centre known even in the Orient". At this time, the most manifold illnesses were treated: for instance, illnesses of the nervous system, respiratory organs, rheumatism, blood disorders, digestive dysfunctions, urethral and genital diseases and malaria.
In 1908, Dr. Feiler built a first branch, the Villa Adele, and in 1910 he built an "exclusive convalescence home with completely modern rooms satisfying all scientific requirements". The convalescence home itself boasted of 34, the Villa Adele of 31 elegant and comfortably fitted rooms.
In the last year of the war, in other words 1918, Dr. Feiler had purchased the previously mentioned Hotel Styria in the hope of a positive Austria-Hungary outcome and had made a large financial investment in his venture. With the collapse of the Danubian monarchy, convalescent events were drastically changed and sad financial conditions during the post-war period added to the dwindling of the once so ready stream of guests.
After long and hotly debated discussions and arguments among the public, which also engaged the provincial government, Dr. Feiler's entire property was sold to the Railway's health insurance company, who wanted to construct a sanatorium for lung diseases. Dr. Wilhelm Miklas, subsequently Federal President and President of Parliament, opened the sanatorium of the Railway's health insurance company on 25. February 1926.
The reduction of Tuberculosis caused the insurance company of Austrian Railways to close the sanatorium in Judendorf in 1960. Already in 1953, an auxiliary building of the lung sanatorium had been established as a convalescent home. In 1962 parts of the old Feiler-building were removed and other parts rebuilt. In 1963, the opening of a new dietary convalescent home could take place. In 1971 the convalescence home Judendorf was reconstructed into a modern rehabilitation centre for internal illnesses, due to new medical cognitions. A diagnostic and therapeutical centre was built, situated on the exact location of the previous Feiler Sanatorium, or the lung sanatorium respectively.
In November 2000, the Austrian Railway insurance company sold its entire property in Judendorf-Straßengel to the community, who then sold the part holding the sanatorium to the momentary owners in 2001.